Developing leaders to guide churches that transform lives and communities
We value equipped, reproducing and passionate leaders as the most effective way to strengthen and start churches
We value starting new churches as the most effective way to restore people to God.
We value being God’s agents to make our neighborhoods & communities more good and less evil
We value good stewardship of ministry and resources by being effective and efficient
We value the Christ-centered, passionate pursuit of lost people in order to reconcile them to God
We value how ethnic and cultural diversity expands our understanding of God, especially evident in cities
We value our unity and interdependence – we are better together
In October 2014, our name was changed to Great Lakes City Classis.
In July 2014, several churches from the former Lake Erie Classis joined South Grand Rapids Classis.
In 2001, South Grand Rapids Classis included twenty-eight churches and 10,940 confessing members.
The classis originally was called the Classis of Grand River, which was organized in 1869 with six churches.
In 1923 the classis was re-organized and its boundaries were realigned. Now called the Classis of Grand Rapids, it consisted of twenty-three churches. (Twelve were received from the former Classis of Grand River and eleven from the former Classis of Muskegon.)
In 1954 the Classis of Grand Rapids was divided into the Classes of North and South Grand Rapids, with Wealthy Street as the dividing line. The Classis of South Grand Rapids had 6,281 members in eighteen churches, including three churches in Ontario. The Canadian churches were transferred in 1962 to the newly organized Classis of Ontario.